Abria Pregnancy Resources is a life-affirming organization serving women and families facing the challenges of an unexpected pregnancy or sexual health concern. Our clients experience friendship, hope and encouragement through positive and life-affirming medical and personal support services, education, and resources.
The Client Advocate provides an integrated client experience as clients access Abria’s medical and personal support services. The Client Advocate will maintain a respectful and collaborative working relationship with all Abria staff and volunteers. The Client Advocate will help fulfill the mission of Abria by utilizing the most current factual information and striving always for greater proficiency and excellence in each of our service areas.
Time Commitment: Non-exempt, full-time position including some scheduled Saturdays
Location: North Minneapolis and St. Paul clinics, as well as off-site meetings or appointments as applicable.
Supervision: Director of Clinical Services
- Serve clients virtually or in person at the St. Paul or Minneapolis clinics following established policies, procedures, and protocols; ensure an integrated client experience throughout the client visit.
- Complete Life Coaching courses to utilize life coach approach when working with clients in all programming areas.
- Support clients using the most current factual information and striving always to become more proficient regarding the following topics or issues:
- Pregnancy options discussions;
- Basic pregnancy-related issues;
- Sexual Risk Avoidance (SRA);
- Natural Family Planning and fertility;
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) and Diseases (STDs);
- Assist clients to identify goals regarding parenthood/adoption that are consistent with their values.
- Navigate and build local resource database to meet our clients identified needs.
- Perform pregnancy test for incoming clients if nurses are unavailable.
- Conduct initial intake and assessment for resourcing, coaching, client advocacy and education services.
- Create and maintain detailed, confidential records of all client interactions.
- Provide follow-up contact with clients when appropriate and possible.
- Collaborate among all staff to ensure appropriate and timely coordination of internal client support services.
- Respect and maintain client and organizational confidentiality at all times.
- Provide occasional backup support for incoming client phone calls and reception duties, as needed.
- Maintain a respectful and collaborative working relationship with all Abria staff, volunteers, board members and the Medical Director.
- Comply with all policies and procedures of Abria, and all laws, rules, regulations, standards and best practices appropriate to the position.
- Report all concerns and issues directly to the Director of Clinical Services.
- Receive incoming client communications as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Agreement with Abria Values and Approach:
- Commitment to Abria’s organizational values. We believe in: the inherent dignity of each person, from conception to natural death; the right of our clients to receive comprehensive, truthful information in a respectful and compassionate way; and the importance of addressing the needs of the whole person – physical, emotional, spiritual and social – when providing services.
- Dedication to life-affirming belief in the dignity, sanctity and worth of every human life. We do not perform or provide referrals for abortions. We do not recommend or provide artificial contraception. We promote healthy choices regarding sexuality that both honor the dignity of the human person and completely avoid sexually transmitted infections and unexpected pregnancy.
- Professional: Effective interpersonal and communication skills, basic computer skills and knowledge, and organizational aptitude. Experience in a non-profit or community-based organization, especially in social services or family services, is preferred.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and/or 1-3 years related experience preferred.
- Personal: Ability to empathize with those in distress or affected by trauma and give practical assistance; strong active listening skills. Strong client orientation and ability to engage confidently in a non-judgmental way with all client demographics and situations. Ability to occasionally lift up to 20 pounds.
- Relational: Ability to work as a team member and to accept responsibility. Ability to act independently and to seek consultation when needed. Eagerness to learn whatever it takes to meet our clients’ needs. Strong work ethic and service minded attitude towards all staff to meet the needs of the organization.
- Show Initiative
- Communicate effectively
- Coach, develop and encourage others
- Understand strategies
- Analyze issues and solve problems
- Relate well to others
- Establish plans
- Elevate Life’s 16-hour training seminar.
- Training and materials regarding social services and client referrals.
- Orientation to Abria Pregnancy Resources and on-the-job training with the Director of Clinical Services and other staff.
To apply, please email completed application (supporters.abria.org), cover letter, resume, and three references to [email protected].